Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013

May 11th - What a difference a year makes


I am waaaaaaay behind on posting this, but way back on May 11th we participated in the March of Dimes, March for Babies.  We surpassed our fundraising goal so a huge "thank you" to all of you who donated!  I just read the other day that the premature birth rate in the U.S. is the lowest it's been in a decade - such good news!

One thing that wasn't good news was the weather on the day of the walk.  It was soooo windy.  We arrived well before the walk started since we were newbies and didn't know what to expect.  By the time the walk was about to start, the twins were freezing and had had enough so family and friends walked for us and we headed home to warm up.  Not exactly how we had pictured all of it going, but there's always next year!

The day of the walk also happened to be the one year anniversary of when I went into pre-term labor and was admitted to the hospital at only 27 weeks gestation.  Everything had looked great at my appointment the day before so when I started experiencing bleeding the next day I was totally shocked. We'd had a potluck at school that day and everyone was asking how I was doing.  I was telling them my plans to spend a lot of time on the couch in the air conditioning during summer vacation.  And then a couple hours later everything changed and I was rushing off to the doctor's office and getting admitted to the hospital.  When I was driving to school this year on the day of the potluck, a lot of emotions came up that I wasn't expecting.  I had to call Jose and get myself collected before class started.  It just hit me all of a sudden like a ton of bricks, almost like a flashback - reliving that day.  By the next day, the day of the walk, I was able to look back on the past year and just be grateful.  Grateful that I'd been able to carry the twins for two more weeks after being admitted to the hospital, grateful that they'd survived, grateful that we'd made it through winter without any major illness, grateful for our two amazing miracles.

The A-Team


The posters we made that were placed along the walk route.




The A-Team (Anthony & Aryanna) 

There were much happier once they got out of the
wind and back inside where it was warm!  
Crazy Iowa weather!


No comments:

Post a Comment